Indigenous Peoples, Law and Justice
Reflective Assignment Questions
Instructions: The assignment comprises two questions.
Students must answer all parts of both questions.
The proposed Referendum Question is asking Australians whether the Voice should be established. What is meant by the Voice?
In May 2019, Professor Anne Twomey, an Australian Constitutional Law Expert, commenting on the Voice, stated:
It is hard to imagine that anyone would argue that it is better for Parliament to be ignorant and ill-informed, its laws ineffective and its expenditure wasteful. There can be no harm in listening to the views of others and using them to improve outcomes.1
In your discussion, consider and outline the following:
- The significance of the proposed Referendum and the Voice proposal.
- How will the Voice differ from previous and current advisory bodies on Indigenous affairs?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of the Voice being established and Constitutionally entrenched?
- Do Australians need to know the detail of exactly what the Voice will look like before the Referendum? Explain the reasoning for your opinion.
Reflect on your experience in undertaking the cultural immersion exercise and/or the cultural immersion lecture or small group (Carrolup/John Curtin Gallery) (Cultural Activity or Cultural Activities).
- Specify the material covered in the Cultural Activity or Cultural Activities you attended.
- Briefly summarise your key learnings and reflections from the Cultural Activity or Cultural Activities you attended.
Total Marks: 30
Get expert help for Indigenous Peoples, Law and Justice and many more. 24X7 help, plag free solution. Order online now!