What Report Writing is:
The formal style of writing elaborately on a topic is known as report writing. In such writing, the tone used is always formal. The topic which one may be writing on is always thought out and the audience is specified. For example- Report Writing on the number of covid cases, report writing about a criminal case, etc. The word ‘essay’ and report are often used interchangeably. However, this doesn’t hold true. There is a definite and different purpose for both these types of writing.
A report presents facts and figures to its audience specifically, without stating the authors opinions. It is only concerned to a certain set of people related. The words and structure of a report is always crisp and clean, without buffer words and vague sentences. Pointers, headings and sub-headings are clearly stated. While writing a report, using graphs, tables and charts to prove a point is a very common technique. Most report writers use this technique. At the end of the report, a quick summary is needed to address the highlighted points. The layout of the report is a prerequisite and is pre-designed.
A report includes in-depth analysis. The main goal of a report is to provide essential information to the reader and even if one gives references, it is in the form of tables and charts. These methods of references are usually decided by the person who has asked for the report. Some may even ask for suggestions for a specific case after a factual report. It is vital to know your audience’s motives before setting the course of your report.
Before starting to write your final report draft, make sure to have a write-up flow. Have a consistent introduction, body, conclusion and summary. Make sure the information presented in your report are bias-free and are 100% true. Trust only verified sites to make sure your information is true. The thumb rule of report writing is to proofread and fact check before submitting it to whomever had asked you to write it. References to solved examples on the internet to get an idea of how to write a report.
Types of Reports Written:
There are quite a few types of Reports. Here are a few.
- Formal and Informal Reports: Formal reports are very carefully structured, they put a lot of stress on clarity and objectivity. They contain a lot of detail and are written in a manner which does not use personal pronouns. Informal Reports are short and use casual language.
- Informational and Analytical reports: Informational reports may be monthly reports and financial reports, etc. They carry objective information from one part of the organization to the other. Analytical reports such as scientific research and feasibility reports provide to attempt solutions to problems.
- Proposal reports: Proposal reports are a mix of many problem solving reports. A document prepared to describe how one organization can meet the needs of another is called a proposal. Many government authorities showcase their needs by issuing a “requests for proposals” or RFP. The RFP specifies a need and potential business prepare another proposal answering them how they can meet their needs.
- Periodic Reports : These reports are issued on scheduled dates periodically. These are generally directed towards the upper hierarchy of the management and serve as management control. Computer generated data and pre printed forms are used to maintain the data uniformity of periodic Reports.
- Short or Long reports: There is a gray area between short and long reports. How many pages does it take for a report to be called a long report? Is a one-page report a short or a long report? This can get confusing, but bear in mind that the more information one includes in their report, the more it takes on the characteristic of a formal report and becomes longer.
- Functional Reports: Accounting reports, financial reports, marketing reports and a variety of other reports that take their designation from the ultimate use of the report. Almost all reports can be included in this category.
Importance of Report Writing
There are many complex systems in the world which require organization. Information needs to be provided and reports do just that. Many important decisions and proposals are made on the basis of information provided in a report. Companies can evaluate performance and sales and other various aspects because of daily reports. Executives depend a lot on reports. It is a neutral presentation of facts and develops the power of designing, judgement and co-ordination. Reports play a major role in the professional advancement of organizations.
Get expert help for Report Writing Help and many more. 24X7 help, plag free solution. Order online now!No Fields Found.