ISC 100 Reflection Paper
Part 1 (Articles based)
Based on these articles, four habits that the students should focus on are:
- Establish a growth mindset: It has been found that students must believe that intelligence and ability grow side by side along with experiences in life. They should focus on doing hard work, helping others, learning from experiences, to achieve higher levels, and get feedback to improve themselves. This will make them responsible for facing difficulties.
- Cultivate friendships: Students must know the meaning and importance of friendships; they must indulge themselves in building connections as they get emotional and personal support in this sense.
- Try to spend time in nature: This is the most interesting thing that students must spend their time in nature. They should indulge themselves in strolling through the park or local garden to have positive effects on mood and however reduces stress.
- Get a good night’s sleep: In the busy schedule of academics, students must not compromise with their sleep. They must, however, take rest for seven to eight hours a day.
According to me, knowing strengths is the best activity because every student must do their SWOT analysis so that they can correct their weak points. Strengths help the person in knowing and achieving success in an easier manner. So, this means that it helps in the reframing thinking process of an individual. Based on the views of different authors in the field of psychology, strong and weak points help you to understand and know which are the areas where you need to focus on for improvement and which are the areas where you excel.
The habit that I suggest for students to succeed in college is that I should use study groups effectively. It is always said that two heads are always better than one (Cassidy, n.d.). It is very useful while studying because it helps in growth and development. Working in groups help each other in understanding concepts more easily and quickly. This helps in teaching and internalizing subject matter more thoroughly. However, study groups are very effective if they are structured and make the students get more prepared on the subject matter (Cassidy, n.d.).
Based on the articles, the five strategies that could help the students in getting success are:
- Know your strengths: Students like me, must focus on knowing their strengths so that they efficient use of them could be made to get success in their carrier. It is human nature to correct weaknesses so that one must perform in a better way.
- Set specific goals: Everyone has goals that help them in achieving their goals. I will define how well the time could be managed to divide their course wok into sub-parts so that they can easily work and learn it.
- Prioritize happiness: Satisfaction is the greatest key to success. Students along with me should focus on feeling good about what they have been doing. So, that they can get success by achieving their goal.
- Priority pie: Students must know the real meaning of managing the time, they must know that they should give proper time to exercise, family, housework, and self-care along with regular study. I will also follow the same to enjoy all the prospects of life.
- Be resilient: The perspective of a student highly matters here in dealing with obstacles. Psychologists look after the obstacles with two mindsets such as fixed mindset in which the way is defined in which the person looks after the mistakes and the second one is the growth mindset in which opportunities for positive change are looked after. I will follow the second mindset to look after positivities of change that come out from obstacles.
Hence, I will follow all these strategies by prioritizing the real meaning of managing time, being resilient, knowing my strengths, being happy, and setting specific goals.
Among the five strategies, I believe that being resilient is tough, and knowing your strengths is easy. It is because everyone faces obstacles while they are learning or performing any tasks. It depends upon the mindset of a person to deal effectively. However, it is the ability of a person himself/ herself to deal with the situation. On the other hand, the easiest one is knowing your strengths because everyone knows which are the points in which the person lags and which are the ones in which the person is good.
Part 2 (Video-based)
Grit is the passion and perseverance for achieving a long-term goal.
Characteristics of Grit are:
- Having stamina
- Passion towards work
- Sticking with future
- Putting efforts in the long run.
Grit is inversely related to talent and it is usually working hard and making the future reality. Grit is living life like a marathon and not a spirit. It is a belief that the ability to learn is never fixed, it can change with changing efforts.
I will teach myself a grit in a way that success Intelligence, good appearance, and physical health is not always that helps the person in achieving what they likely to achieve. They need commitment and passion for their long-term goal. This can be done by keeping myself motivated to put more effort. Failure is not constant, and I will learn lessons from failure and move ahead with a positive mindset.
Failure is not a permanent condition. It is a secret to getting success. In this video, former teacher Angela Lee Duckworth said that success is grit, the ability to take a blow and keep ongoing. It is believed that people who fail, try, or pick themselves up are the ones who have a wide horizon of possibility. They have a clear goal in their mind and failure becomes their footpath. However, people fear failure, so they rarely try new things. They rationalize success as the absence of failure. People who are with a fixed mindset and have clear goals do not fear failure and always ready to take risks in their life.
This video was a highly motivational video in which the story of “Grit: The power of passion and perseverance” has been discussed with the research-based activity. I felt that, Grit is passion and perseverance for very long-term goals. By following Grit, I will build up stamina that will help me in sticking with future, day in, and day out not for a day but long term. It means working hard to me will make the future a reality. The video helped me realize that the ability to learn is never the same, it changes along with your efforts. A growth mindset is a good idea for building grit. The best idea is to build the strongest intuition and need to test them and check them with failure and learnings from it. At the end, I will say that I will follow the same way to develop and build grit to get long term success and make my dreams a reality.
5 Strategies for Academic Success: Using Your Strengths. Retrieved from: https://blog.dce.harvard.edu/extension/5-strategies-academic-success-using-your-strengths
Cassidy, K. (n.d.) The 4 habits college students should focus on this year. Forbes. Retrieved from: https://www.forbes.com/sites/kimcassidy/2018/08/23/the-4-habits-college-students-should-focus-on-this-year/#15f0a8ec19d9
Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance. Retrieved from: https://www.ted.com/talks/angela_lee_duckworth_grit_the_power_of_passion_and_perseverance/up-next?language=en#t-351619
Get solved or fresh solution on ISC 100 Reflection Paper Report Assignment and many more. 24X7 help, plag free solution. Order online now!