In this assessment task, we invite you to evaluate an everyday design solution against the principles that we covered in the third video in this module, “Identifying and using design principles”.
The principles we cover in that video are:
Your assignment should:
- provide an image of an everyday design solution,
- provide a brief description of the design solution and its function,
- nominate the design principles the design solution demonstrates,
- explain how the design solution demonstrates the design principles,
- support your explanation with references to the content from the videos and/or other resources.
You will then be required to review the work of 2 of your peers using the marking criteria provided.
Question to be Answered
Question 1 Project Title
Question 2 Find an everyday design solution that adheres to one or more of the design principles. For example, in the videos we looked at everyday objects like door handles, traffic light push buttons and the dual flush button in toilets. Design solutions are not limited to objects; they can also take the form of systems or processes. An example of a system is the way a gear lever in cars is controlled. An example of a process is how you might order a takeaway coffee at your local café. Keep an eye out for design solutions on your daily commute, at home or in your work environment.
Once you have found a design solution, analyse why it is a pleasure to use by assessing it against the principles. For example: Does the design solution have a clear affordance? Are constraints in place that ensure it is used correctly?
Submit a document (preferably a PDF) which contains all of the following sections:
- an image of a design solution that clearly shows details (at least 300 x 300 pixels),
- a description of the solution and its functionality (2 or 3 sentences),
- at least 2 design principles that the solution demonstrates,
- an explanation of how each of the nominated principles is demonstrated.
You should support your explanation with references to the content from the videos and/or other resources.
Coursera Honor Code Learn more
Get expert help for Identifying and using design principles and many more. 24X7 help, plag free solution. Order online now!