AHS205: The Australian Healthcare System within a Global Context
1. Healthcare professionals include registered nurses, physicians, dentists, physician assistants, and veterinarians.
Registered nurse: The key function which the nurses play in treating the patient with depression include monitoring the clinical progress, improving the compliances of treatment, assessment for depression, and promoting education and social change of the carers and patients.
Physician’s Assistant: They offer the services of mental health under the supervision of a psychiatrist.
GP: General Practitioners basically do the medical check-ups and make the diagnosis.
Psychiatrists: They are the medical doctors basically expertise within mental health. Psychiatrists are specialists within the diagnosis and they can treat every kind of mental illness (Maulik et al., 2017). They tune the medication finely and make the proper diagnosis.
Psychologists: They also count as professionals of mental health who are experts in assisting the patient to recover from their depression. They use a variety of approaches to psychotherapy.
2. A rural town in Australia is Leinster. Leinster is located in Western Australia. According to the census of 2016, around 582 people live there. Out of that 36.3 were female and 68.7 percent of the total people were male. Around 3.1 percent of the total population are Torres Strait or Aboriginal people.
3. Part A: Health Services Table
Reference all your information in the table.
|Title and type of health professional and health service||What services do they provide that are relevant to your case study?||Category of cost?1 (research this information and choose from options below)||Category of service2 (research this information and choose from options below)||Is a referral required? 3 (research this informatio n)||Is the service available in your identified rural town?4||What are the typical hours of operation for this type of service in the rural town?|
|Registered Nurse||Monitoring the clinical progress, assessment for depression, and promoting education||Covered by medicare, government funding||Public hospital||No||Yes||Around 12 hours|
|Physician’s Assistant||They offer the services of mental health under the supervision of a psychiatrist||Government funding||Public hospital||No||Yes||40 hours per week|
|GP||Basically do the medical check-ups and make a diagnosis||paid by patient||Private Practice||No||Yes||38 to 40 hours per week|
|Psychiatrists||They tune the medication finely and make the proper diagnosis, they can treat every kind of mental illness (Morales, Barksdale & Beckel-Mitchener, 2020)||Paid by patient||Private practice||Yes||Very less||Depending on the condition and count of patient|
|Psychologists||They use a variety of approaches to psychotherapy.||Paid by patients||Private practice||Yes||Very less||Depending on the condition and count of patient|
1. Category of cost
- Covered by Medicare
- Other government funding
- Private health insurance
- Paid by patient
- Category of service provider options:
- Public hospital
- Private hospital
- Non‐government or charity organization
- Private practice
- Referral: Is a referral from a GP or other health professional required to attend this service?
- Yes, I think the health services which has been identified will meet the needs of healthcare for Theo adequately. A registered nurse will help Theo with his condition. The nurse will look after the needs of Theo, will be assessing his progress, and encourage him to take the medication. The assistant of the physician will help Theo with all the services that are required for Theo under the supervision of the psychiatrists identified in accordance with the scenario (RANZCP, 2022). The general practitioner prescribes antidepressants after assessing the mental condition Theo. He or she will also do some regular medical check-ups, and also will do some diagnoses. The psychiatrists identified within the scenario will assess the physical as well as mental symptoms. They make the diagnosis and also work with the patient to establish a management plan for recovery and treatment. They offer psychological treatment, do various procedures, prescribe medication, and many more. Psychologists basically help Theo with depression using various approaches to psychotherapy. He or she helps Theo to find ways to alter, adapt and accept the situations.
- Yes, gaps are there within the service option. Both psychiatrists and psychologists are less available in Leinster, Australia. Within every rural area, there are very few mental health programs, medical practitioner, and facilities of healthcare within the rural area which means that very little preventive care are there which takes a very long time to respond in emergency situations (van Spijker et al., 2019). The rural residents within Australia face important disparities in the outcome of mental health even though the prevalence of mental illness within the rural towns. There are very less mental health services within Leinster and that is why people of Leinster face various issues. moreover, due to less availability of hospitals, it is much costly to acquire those services which is another important gap.
Maulik, P., Kallakuri, S., Devarapalli, S., Vadlamani, V., Jha, V., & Patel, A. (2017). Increasing use of mental health services in remote areas using mobile technology: a pre–post evaluation of the SMART Mental Health project in rural India. Journal Of Global Health, 7(1). doi: 10.7189/jogh.07.010408
Morales, D., Barksdale, C., & Beckel-Mitchener, A. (2020). A call to action to address rural mental health disparities. Journal Of Clinical And Translational Science, 4(5), 463-467. doi: 10.1017/cts.2020.42
RANZCP. (2022). Who can help with depression?. Retrieved 16 March 2022, from https://www.yourhealthinmind.org/mental-illnesses-disorders/depression/who-can-help
van Spijker, B., Salinas-Perez, J., Mendoza, J., Bell, T., Bagheri, N., & Furst, M. et al. (2019). Service availability and capacity in rural mental health in Australia: Analysing gaps using an Integrated Mental Health Atlas. Australian & New Zealand Journal Of Psychiatry, 53(10), 1000-1012. doi: 10.1177/0004867419857809
Get expert help for AHS205: The Australian Healthcare System within a Global Context and many more. 24X7 help, plag free solution. Order online now!