There is a word limit of 1000 words. Use your computer to total the number of words used in your assignment. However, do not include the reference list at the end of your assignment in the word count. In-text citations will be included in the additional 10%-word count. If you exceed the word count by 10% (1100 words) the marker will stop marking.
Aim of assessment
The aim of this assessment is to enable students to:
1. Demonstrate knowledge by analysing the information provided in the case study.
2. Apply the clinical information provided in the case study and describe this clinical information within a pathophysiological and patient focused framework.
3. Discuss nursing strategies and evidence-based rationales to manage a patient with sepsis
4. Discuss the pharmacological interventions related to the management of a patient with sepsis
You are to answer all questions related to the case study provided. Your answers must be directly related to the clinical manifestations that your patient presents with. You must submit your work with a minimum of six references from the past five years with at least two references from the resources provided in the vUWS site including peer-reviewed journal articles, textbook material or other appropriate evidence-based resources.
Mrs Casey Smith is a 28-year-old lady presenting to the emergency department at 1900hrs with fevers and right flank pain. Unwell for last 10 days with right loin flank pain and suprapubic pain. Developed fevers, dysuria, frank haematuria 2 days ago. Complains of myalgia, nil respiratory symptoms. Nil diarrhea. Has nausea, nil vomiting. Nil chest pain. Unsure of pregnancy status.
Received 500mL Normal Saline IV bolus on arrival.
Past Medical History:
Nursing Assessment at 2000hrs:
A. Patent, own
B. RR-18/mt, SPO2-99%RA. Spontaneous, no increased work of breathing, chest clear, good
air entry B/L, no added sounds.
C. Heart Rate Regular- 124/mt, tachycardic. BP- 90/58 mmHg. Capillary Refill Time <3 sec.
D. GCS-14/15 E4V4M6 (was GCS-15/15 on arrival).
E. Febrile T: 38.9 C. No peripheral edema. No rashes.
Abdo: Suprapubic tenderness, not peritonitic, bilateral flank tenderness R>L, bowel sounds
IVCx2 Rand L antecubital fossa in situ.
F. No IV fluids in progress.
G. BSL-4.8 mmol/L
Weight: 58 kg
Bedside Urinalysis: Leucocytes ++, nitrites ++, blood +++, BHCG +ve
Midstream Urine sent to lab for culture
|Sodium||137 mmol/L||135-147 mmol/L|
|Potassium||3.9 mmol/L||3.5-5.2 mmol/L|
|Chloride||120 mmol/L||95-107 mmol/L|
|Haemoglobin||109 g/L||120-140 g/L|
|White blood cells||26.3×10^9/L||4.0-11.0×10^9/L|
|C Reactive Protein (CRP)||116 mg/L||<3mg/L|
|Urea nitrogen (BUN)||10.0 mmol/L||3.0-8.0 mmol/L|
|Creatinine||127 µmol/L||64 -104 µmol/L|
|Partial thromboplastin time (PTT)||33 sec||30-45 sec|
|Prothrombin time (PT)||26 sec||10-12 sec|
|Procalcitonin (PCT)||37.18 ug/L||0-10 ug/L|
Arterial blood gas analysis (at 2200hrs)
|PaO2||70 mmHg||80-100 mmHg|
|PaCO2||28 mmHg||35-45 mmHg|
|HCO3-||16 mmol/L||22-26 mmol/L|
|BE||-7.2 mmol/L||-2 – +2mmol/L|
Clinical Impression: Sepsis (Urosepsis)
1) Transfer to ICU within 1 hour
2) Chase urine and blood culture results
Question 1 (600 words)
Explain the pathophysiology causing all the clinical manifestations with which Mrs Smith presents.
Please use information from diagnostic results where relevant.
Question 2 (400 words)
Mrs. Smith has been prescribed the below two interventions.
- Briefly explain/provide rationale why each of these two (both) interventions are prescribed for Mrs Smith using pathophysiological linking and appropriate evidence
- Discuss briefly the specific mechanism of action of the medication and relate the medication to the underlying pathophysiology
- Describe briefly the impact of not performing the interventions
- Inj. Ceftriaxone 1gm IV stat
- Normal Saline 1000mL IV stat
Refer to Section 2.5 of the Learning Guide- General Submission Requirements Submit your assessment through Turnitin
All assignments are to be typed
Typing must be according to the following format:
3 cm left and right margins, double spaced.
Font: Arial or Times New Roman
Font size: 12pt
See further submission requirements below
- Electronic copy only. Students are to submit an electronic copy of the assessment. Students are not required to submit the original hard copy of their assessment on campus
- Submit your assessment electronically through the Turnitin link on the unit vUWS site.
- Students are to upload the assessment with the following title:
- Your assessment must be submitted in .doc, docx format.
- This assessment is marked online; no paper copy will be accepted. Marks, comments and the marking criteria will be released online. If you do not receive your marked assessment when all others have been returned, it is your responsibility to contact the Subject Coordinator for assistance.
i. There are a number of textbooks and resources available through the Western Sydney University Library that may assist you. Please refer to the subject’s vUWS site for specific subject resources.
ii. Assessments listed as individual assessments must be completed independently. Students are advised to refer back to their notes, textbooks or appropriate academic, peer-reviewed resources utilised during subject delivery.
Get expert help for Case Study of an Acute Life-Threatening Condition and many more. 24X7 help, plag free solution. Order online now!