- A Cover page or title page – You should always attach a title page to your assignment. Use previous page as your cover sheet and make sure all the details are accurately filled.
- Attach this brief as the first section of your assignment.
- All the assignments should be prepared using a word processing software.
- All the assignments should be printed on A4 sized papers. Use single side printing.
- Allow 1” for top, bottom , right margins and 1.25” for the left margin of each page.
Word Processing Rules
- The font size should be 12 point, and should be in the style of Time New Roman.
- Use 1.5 line spacing. Left justify all paragraphs.
- Ensure that all the headings are consistent in terms of the font size and font style.
- Use footer function in the word processor to insert Your Name, Subject, Assignment No, and Page Number on each page. This is useful if individual sheets become detached for any reason.
- Use word processing application spell check and grammar check function to help editing your assignment.
- It is strictly prohibited to use textboxes to add texts in the assignments, except for the compulsory information. eg: Figures, tables of comparison etc. Adding text boxes in the body except for the before mentioned compulsory information will result in rejection of your work.
- Carefully check the hand in date and the instructions given in the assignment. Late submissions will not be accepted.
- Ensure that you give yourself enough time to complete the assignment by the due date.
- Excuses of any nature will not be accepted for failure to hand in the work on time.
- You must take responsibility for managing your own time effectively.
- If you are unable to hand in your assignment on time and have valid reasons such as illness, you may apply (in writing) for an extension.
- Failure to achieve at least PASS criteria will result in a REFERRAL grade .
- Non-submission of work without valid reasons will lead to an automatic RE FERRAL. You will then be asked to complete an alternative assignment.
- If you use other people’s work or ideas in your assignment, reference them properly using HARVARD referencing system to avoid plagiarism. You have to provide both in-text citation and a reference list.
- If you are proven to be guilty of plagiarism or any academic misconduct, your grade could be reduced to A REFERRAL or at worst you could be expelled from the course
Higher National Diploma in Computing
|Student Name /ID Number|
|Unit Number and Title||Unit 01: Programming|
|Assignment Title||Design &Implement a GUI based system using a suitable Integrated Development Environment|
|IV Name & Date|
|This submission will have 3 components Written Report This submission is in the form of an individual written report. This should be written in a concise, formal business style using single spacing and font size 12. You are required to make use of headings, paragraphs and subsections as appropriate, and all work must be supported with research and referenced using the Harvard referencing system. Please also provide a bibliography using the Harvard referencing system. (The recommended word count is 1,500–2,000 words for the report excluding annexures) Implemented System (Software) The student should submit a GUI based system developed using an IDE. The system should connect with a backend database and should have at least 5 different forms and suitable functionality including insert, edit and delete of main entities and transaction processing. Presentation With the submitted system student should do a presentation to demonstrate the system that was developed. Time allocated is 10 to 15 min. Student may use 5 to 10 PowerPoint slides while doing the presentation, but live demonstration of the system is required. Evaluator will also check the ability to modify and debug the system using the IDE.|
|Unit Learning Outcomes:|
|LO1. Define basic algorithms to carry out an operation and outline the process of programming an application. LO2. Explain the characteristics of procedural, object-orientated and event-driven programming, conduct an analysis of a suitable Integrated Development Environment (IDE). LO3. Implement basic algorithms in code using an IDE. LO4. Determine the debugging process and explain the importance of a coding standard|
|Assignment Brief and Guidance:|
| Activity 1 The Fibonacci numbers are the numbers in the following integer sequence.|
0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89, 144, …….. In mathematical terms, the sequence Fn of Fibonacci numbers is defined by the recurrence relation. Fn = F n-1 + F n-2 Factorial of a non-negative integer, is multiplication of all integers smaller than or equal to n. For example, factorial of 6 is 6*5*4*3*2*1 which is 720. n! = n * (n – 1) * …….. 1 Define what an algorithm is and outline the characteristics of a good algorithm. Write the algorithms to display the Fibonacci series and the factorial value for a given number using Pseudo code. Determine the steps involved in the process of writing and executing a program. Take a sample number and dry run the above two algorithms. Show the outputs at the end of each iteration and the final output. Examine what Big-O notation is and explain its role in evaluating efficiencies of algorithms. Write the Python program code for the above two algorithms and critically evaluate their efficiencies using Big-O notation.
Activity 2 Explain what is meant by a Programming Paradigm and the main characteristics of Procedural, Object oriented and Event-driven paradigms and the relationships among them. Write small snippets of code as example for the above three programming paradigms using a suitable programming language(s). you also need to critically evaluate the code samples that you have given above in relation to their structure and the unique characteristics.
Activity 3 and Activity 4 are based on the following Scenario. Ayubo Drive is the transport arm of Ayubo Leisure (Pvt) Ltd, an emerging travel & tour company in Sri Lanka. It owns a fleet of vehicles ranging from cars, SUVs to vans. The vehicles that it owns are hired or rented with or without a driver. The tariffs are based on the vehicle type. Some of the vehicle types that it operates are, small car, sedan car, SVUs, Jeep (WD), 7-seater van and Commuter van. New vehicle types are to be added in the future. Vehicle rent and hire options are described below. Rent (With or without driver) – For each type of vehicle rates are given per day, per week and per month. Rate for a driver also given per day. Depending on the rent period the total rent amount needs to be calculated. For example: if a vehicle is rented for 10 days with a driver, total amount to be calculated as follows: Total rent = weeklyRent x 1 + dailyRent x 3 + dailyDriverCost x 10 Hire (with driver only) – These are based on packages such as airport drop, airport pickup, 100km per day package, 200km per day package etc. Standard rates are defined for a package type of a vehicle typeif that is applicable for that type of vehicle.For each package maximum km limit and maximum number of hours arealso defined. Extra km rate is also defined which is applicable if they run beyond the allocated km limit for the tour. For day tours if they exceed max hour limit,a waiting charge is applicable for extra hours. Driver overnight rate and vehicle night park rate also defined which is applicable for each night when the vehicle is hired for 2 or more days.
Activity 3 Function 1: Rent calculation. Return the total rent_value when vehicle_no, rented_date, return_date, with_driver parameters are sent in. with_driver parameter is set to true or false depending whether the vehicle is rented with or without driver. Function 2: Day tour – hire calculation. Calculate total hire_value when vehicle_no, package_type, start_time, end_time, start_km_reading, end_km_reading parameters are sent in. Should return base_hire_charge, waiting_charge and extra_km_charge as output parameters. Function 3: Long tour – hire calculation. Calculate total hire_value when vehicle_no, package_type, start_date, end_date, start_km_reading, end_km_reading parameters are sent in. Should return base_hire_charge, overnight_stay_charge and extra_km_charge as output parameters. Write suable algorithms for vehicle tariff calculation for rents and hires. Ideally 3 functions should be developed for this purpose as above. Use the visual studio IDE (using C#.net) to Implement the above algorithms and design the suitable database structure for keeping the tariffs for vehicle types and different packages which must be used for implementing the above functions. Analyze the features of an Integrated Development Environment (IDE) and explain how those features help in application development. Evaluate the use of the Visual StudioIDE for your application development contrasted with not using an IDE.
Activity 4 Design and build a small system to calculate vehicle hire amounts and record them in a database for customer billing and management reporting forAyubo drive. This includes the completing the database design started in 3.2 and implementing one or more GUIs for vehicle, vehicle type, and package add/edit/delete functions. It essentially requires an interface for hire calculation and recording function described above. Generating customer reports and customer invoices are not required for this course work. Explain debugging process and the features available in Visual studio IDE for debugging your code more easily. Evaluate how you used the debugging process to develop more secure, robust application with examples. Outline the coding standards you have used in your application development. Critically evaluate why a coding standard is necessary for the team as well as for the individual.
Get solved or fresh solution on Design &Implement a GUI based system using a suitable Integrated Development Environment and many more. 24X7 help, plag free solution. Order online now!