Assessment Brief: Individual Report
Individual Report 70%
|Module||Core FHEQ Level 7|
|Module Title:||Fundamentals of Cyber Security|
|Submission Time and Date:||22nd April 2021 no later than 16.30|
|Word Limit:||Maximum (i.e. under) 3,500 Words.|
|Weighting||This coursework accounts for 70% of the total mark for this module|
|Submission of Assessment||Turnitin – On/ Via ELITE It is your responsibility to ensure that your assignment arrives before the submission deadline stated above. Late submission penalties will apply unless a late submission has prior approval.|
Task & Guidance:
This activity is designed to test your understanding of the various concepts we have covered in this module.
The assessment focusses on the issue of “Ransomware”, which is amongst the fastest growing types of cyber crime.
You are required to perform the following tasks:
- Investigate the issue of “Ransomware” and provide a summary of your understanding covering the following points:
- What is Ransomware?
- How is it different from other types of malware?
- How does it spread?
- What is the motive of this cybercrime?
- The growth of Ransomware over the past 2-4 years.
- Perform a research on the recent ransomware attacks. Pick any one significant ransomware incident and perform a detailed analysis of the incident. Present a summary of the attack, based on your understanding, covering the following points:
- How did the attack take place?
- What was the extent of the attack?
- Provide your assessment on the key factors why the attack was successful?
- As a cyber security professional, you are tasked with outlining a solution design to reduce the risk of ransomware for an organisation. Based on your analysis of recent events and your understanding of the issue, present a solution covering the following areas:
- Network Layout and Design
- Securing computing infrastructure such as servers and laptops/desktops
- Securing Cyber Physical infrastructure
- Securing critical data assets such as business critical information required for running the operations.
Your proposed solution design must cover the following points:
- What are the primary attack vectors?
- What are the key design features that you are proposing to limit the risk of ransomware?
- Explain why the proposed controls would be effective in mitigating this threat?
- Provide your views on why Ransomware is amongst the fastest growing types of cyber crime?
You are expected to perform extensive reading across existing academic publications, articles published on the Internet and relevant blog posts and audio/video interview source. Cite all sources as a part of your response.
You are encouraged to use visual diagrams as required to support your arguments and/or solution designs
- The assignment should be written in Arial 11, Left Justified, Single spacing.
- All academic and other sources must be cited and included in a reference list which should be complied at the end of the workbook but before any appendices (if at all) that you use.
- If the assignment is over by 5% or less of the word limit (maximum stated) no penalty will apply. If the word limit of the full assignment exceeds the +5% limit, up-to +25%, 10% of the mark provisionally awarded to the assignment will be deducted. For example: if the assignment is worth 70 marks but is above the word limit by more than 5%, a penalty of 7 marks will be imposed, giving a final mark of 63. If the word limit is exceeded by over 25% then the assignment will be referred to the academic board/ programme director without marking. It is not a requirement to state the word count, however, if it is stated and is falsified, this will be regarded as academic misconduct.
- Students that submit up to 24 hours late (and do not have an approved extension to deadline) will be penalised by a deduction of 10% of available marks. Assignments later than this and without approval will be referred and processed as per decisions by the academic board/ programme director.
Quality Indicators (how will it be graded; what constitutes a good assignment): Assessment Criteria Level 7:
Fail (0 – 49%)
Exhibits an unsatisfactory grasp of the issues in the subject. Primarily descriptive and lacking in independent critical thought appropriate to the tasks. Weak or no attempt at analysis, synthesis and critical reflection with little evidence of ability to tackle issues not previously encountered. Poor spelling or other grammatical errors.
Pass (50 – 59%)
Illustrates a satisfactory grasp of the issues in the subject with limited independent critical thought appropriate to the tasks. Material largely relevant to the tasks but is likely to contain some irrelevancies. At least some evidence of analysis, synthesis and critical reflection with evidence of ability to tackle issues not previously encountered. The work is presented in an acceptable manner but may include minor spelling and grammatical errors.
Commendation (60 -69%)
Illustrates a very good understanding of the issues in the subject, some of which are likely to be complex with some independent critical thought appropriate to the tasks. Most of the requirements of the work are covered with only a few gaps or minor and inconsequential errors. The material is largely relevant to the tasks and there is a good attempt at analysis, synthesis and critical reflection with evidence of some ability to tackle issues not previously encountered. The work is presented in a clear and well-organised manner with only minor spelling and grammatical errors.
Distinction (70 – 100%)
Illustrates an excellent level of understanding of complex issues in the subject. All requirements of the work are dealt with to a high standard and the work is free from all but isolated minor errors. The material is wholly relevant to the tasks. Excellent analysis, synthesis and critical reflection with the ability to tackle issues and questions not previously encountered. Evidence of independent and original judgment in relation to the resolution of the client’s needs and problems. Excellently presented in terms of structure and professional style.No Fields Found.