You are required to identify a current and topical public health ethical issue in the workplace (if you work within a public health setting) or in a selected community and a plan of action to address the issue and submit it in Moodle as a Power Point presentation. The presentation will consider the ethical aspects of the chosen public health issue from the perspectives of the public health professional, their clients, and key stakeholders. This assessment also presents an outline of the ethics-based research proposal that spans all three assessments in this course.
You will be required to do the following steps:
1) Choose a current and topical public health issue in your workplace or in a selected community (examples are offered) and identify and describe the public health ethical issues and the need and rationale for the chosen issue to be addressed against the needs of the targeted clients/population (K1)
3) Identify all relevant key stakeholders who may potentially be involved – both health professionals and community stakeholders (A2)
5) Imagine you are a public health professional who needs to conduct a research project to measure the effectiveness of your proposed plan of action addressing the ethical issue. Devise a brief research proposal outlining what the research project/process would look like (K1)
Please note: You will be required to complete Assessment Task 2 (critical essay) and Assessment Task 3 (ethics application) using the same public health issue that you have chosen for this assessment. With this in mind, it is advised that you choose your public health topic carefully i.e., one that is topical and current, one that might directly impact you (either professionally or personally), one that interests you and/or one that you think you might want to pursue in future practice.
You are required to submit your assessment online in the Moodle course as:
- PowerPoint (or equivalent software) slides.
While you can be creative, this is an academic piece of work, meaning that information needs to be supported by the theory and should be cited and referenced appropriately. Your assignment should be informed by 5-6 academic journal articles, properly referenced as in-text citations, and in a final reference list.
The length of the presentation should be approximately 10-12 slides based on the marking criteria.
Example of ethical issues
These are just some examples; it is up to the student to decide on a topic of their choice to illustrate the public health ethical issue, for the individual, organisation, and/ or community. If unsure of your choice – please contact the course lecturer to discuss before commencing.
· High obesity levels and cardiovascular diseases in a community due to limited access to healthy foods in the shops, a high percentage of ‘fast food’ outlets, a lack of recreational facilities i.e., safe walking parks, cycle lanes, affordable gyms etc.
· High respiratory disease rates in a community due to a lack of open-air parks, dense industrial areas, high pollution levels, high traffic congestion etc.
· Limited access to vaccinations in a community due to inequity in the distribution of vaccines.
· Limited access to health screening facilities due to inequity of services between communities.
· There are many other relevant ethics topics that could be chosen – such as premature deaths, migrant healthy ageing, meeting the healthcare needs of minority groups – and other vulnerable groups, low breastfeeding rates, access to mental health services etc. Many of these can be directly linked to issues related to low health literacy.
|Visual resources||Students are assessed on the: · Layout and set out of the PPT slides/presentation. · Appropriateness of PPT design, colour, font, formatting, and use of supporting graphics. · Fluency between themes and information. · Overall structure.||/ 3|
|Introduction||Students are assessed on the: · Introduction of key concepts regarding the chosen ethical issue. (K1) (2 slides)||/ 2|
|Content: Laws/standards/ policies/guidelines||Students are assessed on their ability to: · Identify and analyse the relevant ethical guidelines and policies that may relate to that situation (S1) (2 slides)||/ 3|
|Content: Practicality of the plan dealing with the issue||Students are assessed on their ability to: · Plan of action to address the chosen issue (A1 & A3) (2 slides)||/ 3|
|Students are assessed on their ability to: · Identify the different potential key stakeholders – both health professional and community stakeholders (1 slide)||/ 2|
|Research proposal||Students are assessed on their ability to: · Detail an effective research proposal to assess and measure the proposed plan of action (K1) (2 slides)||/ 3|
|Conclusion||Students are assessed on: · Conclusion/Summary of key concepts (1 slide)||/ 2|
|References APA 7th Edition||Students are assessed on: · The range and quality of the resources they have used. · Their interpretation/integration of the resources. · Their ability to use resources to explore their response. · Their formatting of both in-text citations and reference lists, following APA 7th edition. (1 slide)||/ 2|
Get expert help for Identify a current and topical public health ethical issue and many more. 24X7 help, plag free solution. Order online now!