NRSG139 Integrating Practice 1 Assessment Task 2: Reflection Template
LO1 explain the difference between critical thinking, clinical reasoning, and clinical judgement
LO4 reflect on their learning within a professional portfolio to evaluate effective learning and self-care strategies for themselves and others; (GA4, GA10)
Part A: In your own words provide a definition for the following terms (80-100 words)
- Critical Thinking
- Clinical Reasoning
- Clinical Judgement
This section needs you to paraphrase your understanding of the above terms. Please remember to reference or cite where you have gotten the information to inform your definition.
Part B: Follow this structure of the Gibb’s reflective cycle in constructing your reflection.
Apply the Gibbs’ Reflective Cycle to reflect on your experience of learning therapeutic communication skills to use during a health assessment (950 words). Organise your discussion using the following headings:
Description – Therapeutic communication is introduced (defined), and a description of learning therapeutic communication is provided (50 words)
- Concisely describe details of the event you are reflecting on:
- Introduce/define therapeutic communication (if defining, please remember to reference where you obtained your definition)
- When and where did the learning occur?
- Why were you there?
- Who else was there?
Feelings – Describe your initial thoughts/feelings about learning and practicing therapeutic communication (50 words)
- What were you thinking/feeling prior to the experience?
- What were you thinking/feeling during the experience?
- What were your thoughts during the experience?
- How do you feel now, looking back on the experience (was it useful for you)?
Evaluation – (150-200 words) An evaluation of the experience of learning therapeutic communication is provided. The positive and challenging aspects of learning the skill are provided
- Describe both positive (what went well) and negative (what didn’t go well) aspects of the experience
- Be objective and evaluate what worked and what didn’t.
- Include the “because” – it was positive or negative because…………………………………………………………………………… then
expand to explain the reasons. Relate this section to how you were feeling and why.
Analysis – (300-350 words) A referenced discussion of why therapeutic communication is important in nursing is provided
- Why did things go well?
- Why did things not go so well?
- What knowledge can you gain from the healthcare literature (e.g. peer reviewed literature and/or journal articles) to help you to understand the importance of learning and developing this skill?
- In this section you should be showing your understanding from the experience using literature evidence. This section should link to your feelings/evaluation
Conclusion – (100-150 words) A conclusion is provided that summarises what may have been done differently and what learning about therapeutic communication has been gained from this reflection.
- Your summary of the whole experience: What did you learn from this experience?
- How could you have made the experience better (for yourself or others)?
- What skills can you develop to help you improve your future practice?
Action Plan – (150 words) Discuss strategies that could be implemented for your future professional development regarding therapeutic communication.
- How will you be able to develop the skills required?
- What will you do differently in any future similar situations? You could look at areas such as plans for improving your therapeutic communication, researching different techniques, plans for implementing in first clinical placement etc.
Please remember to use APA 7 Referencing and use the AT2 formatting instructions to assist with the formatting of your document. A minimum of two (2) references is required for this assessment. We encourage you to use more than 2 if needed to help develop your PART A and analysis discussion.
Any questions should be direct to the national discussion forum in the communication and support tab of the NRSG139 LEO site so all students can benefit from the answers you will receive. Please don’t forget The Academic Skills Unit is a resource available for you!
Get expert help for NRSG139 Integrating Practice and many more. 24X7 help, plag free solution. Order online now!