2022/23 ASSIGNMENT REMIT – DOCUMENT UPLOAD
You are required to write an essay that evaluates the extent to which a contemporary issue or gastronomic trend has impacted on the hospitality industry.
You will need to:
- The topic can be chosen from, but is not restricted to, the list below:
- Food Provenance
- Locally Grown/Sourced Food
- Food Sustainability
- Contemporary Cuisines
- The Use of Natural Ingredients
- Innovative Methods for Reducing Food Waste in Hospitality
- Plant-based Food
- Street Food
- High Quality Convenience Food
- Innovative Cooking Methods
- Sustainable Seafood
- Nostalgic Food
*** The choice of issue or trend must first be agreed and confirmed with the lecturer to ensure relevance and suitability.
- Discuss how the industry has or is reacting to this trend/issue.
- Provide realistic and current examples with relevant references to support your comments.
- The essay should be structured as follows:
- Introduction – outline the key points that will be covered in the essay.
- Paragraph 1 – introduce the chosen trend, justify why it is a trend, use appropriate and recommended sources of information to support the discussion.
- Paragraph 2 – justify the importance of why and how the industry is reacting to the relevant trend/issue, the growth of the trend/issue and associated customer expectations.
- Paragraph 4 and 5 – provide examples from the hospitality industry, demonstrating changes that have/are taking place.
- Conclusion – summarise the key points made. Remember not to include any new information here.
- List of References – all sources of information used within your essay need to be listed here according to the UCB Standard of Referencing.
- Be concise and avoid being too descriptive.
- You will be expected to carry out extensive research on your selected issue/trend and reference all research appropriately according to UCB guidelines.
- Refer to the Module Reading List (available via the module site on Canvas) and use the recommended journals, books, and articles as credible sources of information within your report.
- For additional guidance on this assignment, please access the assignment vodcast available on Canvas.
- Refer to the UCB Guide to Essay Writing
*** Remember, an essay should not have a contents page, headings/subheadings, pictures, charts or tables.
To produce a good assignment, your essay should be clearly structured and flow logically. While this assignment will be marked using reference to the Generic Marking Criteria for Level 5 work, the following marking scheme should also be considered.
- Structure and presentation of your essay (15%): This is formal essay. Please make sure that your work is proofread to avoid spelling and grammatical errors – you can use Grammarly Premium to help you with this. Do not write in the first person and use appropriate academic language throughout the essay.
- Understanding and Application (30%): You should demonstrate evidence of understanding gastronomic trends and contemporary issues. These should be applied to the hospitality industry.
- Evaluation and discussion (40%): A good piece of work will evaluate the extent to which various trends and issues have impacted on the hospitality industry and what the industry has done to satisfy customer expectations and demand.
- Research, Reading and Referencing (15%): You should make use of resources recommended within the module reading list and others from UCB library that have a Gastronomy focused. Marks for references will also be embedded with the sections above, but the extent, presentation, currency and quality of the references will be considered. Ensure you follow UCB referencing standards throughout your work
- This assignment will require you to submit your work by uploading a document in Word or PDF format to Canvas. Please follow this online guide on document submissions and contact the DICE team on if you need any further support.
2. Demonstrate an understanding of contemporary issues concerning the subject area and their impact on hospitality organisations.
- The skills outcomes to be developed by completing this assignment can be found here.
GENERAL ASSIGNMENT GUIDANCE:
|Teamwork and ITS Assessment||Should this assignment require you to work as part of a team, you will receive an individual grade based upon your performance as well as personalised feedback. The module leader will explain how your individual grade and feedback will be determined.|
|Importance of Word Count and Presentation Timings||Assignment word counts and presentation timings should always be observed. Ignoring a word count increases significantly the risk of your work losing marks because it lacked focus and clarity. Students will be required to state their word count on all submissions. A 10% leeway will be allowed – so the maximum a student should submit will be the word count + 10%. The word count will exclude: The title pageThe contents pageModels, graphs, data tables and other exhibited figures or images Lists of referencesAppendices (these should be kept to a minimum) In addition, timings must be observed for assessed presentations for the same reasons.|
|Cut-off date for late work|
|UCB Referencing Guide|
|Access the Assignment Life Cycle|
Get expert help for The Impact of Gastronomic Trends and many more. 24X7 help, plag free solution. Order online now!