Assessment purpose: To develop a plan for a real-world example of an application from one of the topics identified by the students and will be verified by the teacher. This assessment contributes to learning outcomes a, b, c, d.
Value: 25% Due date: Week 11
Students can choose one from the following topics. However, after deciding on the topic to work on, students must meet their respective tutor to identify which topic was chosen and to get guidance.
The problems your group can choose from are:
• Arithmetic operations in Binary Number System
• Logical Equivalence
• Proof technique
• Inverse function
• Linear Recurrences
• BCD Arithmetic
In the initial part of the assignment, the group of students’ will be tested on their skills on writing literature review of a topic you have learnt in the Discrete Mathematics (ICT101) course in the week 1 to 6. Students need to read at least 3 articles or books on this topic especially with application to Information Technology and give a detailed review of those. Students will also identify one application of information Technology related to the topic in which they are interested and write a complete account of that interest.
Student groups will be exploring and analysing the applications which are identified by each group member, and they must recognise an application that can be programmed into a computer. Each group must sketch a plan to draw a flow-chart and algorithm. Use some inputs to test the algorithm (give a different trace table for each input) and identify any problem in the algorithm. Suggest a plan to rectify or explain why it can be rectified. Each group must write one report on its findings.Students can choose their own group members, but they should all be in the same tutorial group.
The written report must have the following sections:
2. Proper reference of at least three articles or books
3. Write detail review of those articles or books related to the topic student chooses
4. Identify one application in Information Technology in which a student is interested. Write a complete account of that interest
5. Description of why students choose this application
6. Give a complete plan to implement the application into a computer program with use of flow-chart
7. Write an appropriate algorithm
8. Use at least two inputs to test the algorithm. Group needs to give a trace table for each input.
10. Short statement about contributions/Reflections from each group member
The report must be:
1. Word or pdf document (3 to 4 pages long)
2. Size: A4
3. Use Assignment Cover Page (download from Moodle) with your details and signature
4. Single space
5. Font: Calibri, 11pt