Assessment 3 Information
Subject Code: MBA503
Subject Name: Operations Management and Decision-Making Models
Assessment Title: Consultancy Webinar
Assessment Type: Individual video recording
Length: 10 minutes (no more)
Total Marks: 100
Due Date: Week 13
Individually, you are required to record a video in which you must address a company board. During this webinar, you are to provide advice and reflections about the decision-making processes followed during a recent organisational crisis experienced by this company.
This assessment involves students choosing a real-life example of an organisational crisis. This will be used as a case study. An organisational crisis is a significant, essentially unexpected event that threatens the company’s reputation, financial standing and/or ability to operate. Examples of organisational crises include; natural disasters, security breaches, fraud, product recalls and environmental spills.
The crisis students choose needs to be discussed, negotiated and approved by their workshop facilitator. This assessment will allow you to demonstrate an application of strategies integrating ethical, social and global considerations, which benefit organisational performance. The assessment will further help students exhibit analytical and evaluation skills about real-world situations using a wide variety of decision-making approaches and techniques.
Imagine that you are employed as a consultant who has expertise in effective decision-making and that you have been asked to review the decision-making processes followed during the crisis you picked as a case study. The webinar should include a short overview of the crisis and then answer the following three questions:
1) What decision-making models or approaches were used by the company when managing this crisis? In answering this question, refer to 1 (one) decision-making model which could have been followed.
2) Identify a minimum of 2 (two) decision-making biases or errors that might have influenced the decisions made. What could have been the impact of these biases or errors?
3) Make a minimum of 2 (two) recommendations regarding the strategies that could be put in place in the future to avoid your identified decision-making biases or errors.
A minimum of 5 academic references should be used to support the statements made and arguments presented in this video.
To ensure the success of your video presentation, you should take account of the following:
• Ensure that you record in a well-lit location and quiet location so that the quality of your video is enhanced
• Confirm that your voice is recording, avoiding reading notes, and looking at the camera when you speak.
• Practice numbers times beforehand so that you become polished and confident.
• Be creative in how you present your information and reinforce the arguments or positions you are taking.
Please refer to the assessment marking guide to assist you in completing all the assessment criteria.
Students are encouraged to submit their work well before the deadline to avoid any possible technical difficulties. For those students who have limited experience in video making techniques, it is recommended to read the video FAQs document available to you under the assessments tab in MyKBS.
Late assignment submission penalties
Penalties will be imposed on late assignment submissions in accordance with Kaplan Business School “late assignment submission penalties” policy.