The purpose of this assignment is to enable students to investigate an actual building project either under construction or recently completed project and investigate the various types of materials, structure and construction methodology used in achieving the end product.
The assignment will further identify, describe, analyse and evaluate those items associated with the construction process. The discussion will also clarify and suggest how the Building Surveyor would be involved in any of the project items that have been selected and make any recommendations in relation to this project.
In describing and analysing these items of the project, you are to reflect on readings of relevant texts, journals, media releases, internet medium or any other relevant resources including your engagement in the learning material and knowledge gained throughout the course.
These have been identified as part of this course within the relevant topics and are to be used together with academic skills and knowledge and apply them as appropriate to the analysis and evaluation process.
The Project selection of which this assignment will be based upon will be identified in the Assessment Description below.
Assessments are formulated to incorporate aspects of the Course Objectives within the scope of the assessments. Review the Course Objectives enabling embedment of these principles within the formulation of the assessment tasks.
CO1. To review and consolidate the process of domestic and commercial construction
CO2. To review the organisation of the construction industry and management and teamworking techniques of the construction process
CO3. To plan and implement the commercial practices involved in construction cost estimating and tendering within the building industry
CO4. To analyse the Acts, Regulation, Codes and Standards pertaining to the construction industry
CO5. To communicate effectively in oral, written and graphical formats incorporating relevant information
|Assessment||Course Objectives||Weighting (% of course grade)||Due date (Adelaide time)||Individual or pairs||Submission process|
|Investigative Site Report||CO 1, 2,3, 4, 5||40%||See course outline||Individual||LearnOnline|
The various built forms throughout Australia in domestic and commercial type buildings generally comprise of the following materials or systems such as reinforced concrete substructure, externally of timber, steel or solid masonry, concrete, veneer clad or curtain walling system superstructure with steel, timber or concrete flooring system and the roof system is generally clad with lightweight sheet steel, concrete or tile type finish. Apart from internal walls and fitout, lifts and a variety of mechanical services such as hydraulics, electrical, heating and cooling systems are also part of the complex array of materials and services that combine to complete the basic structural material and component systems of the building project.
The initial part of this assignment is to select the Project upon which to base the reportwherestudents have the option to select either :
- a current or recently completed*, significant project under construction, or a refurbishment of an existing structure in your region or they may use …
- the ADVANCED ENGINEERING BUILDING (AEB) 4-Dlocated on the Course Wide Resources where all the documentation, documents and engineering, chronological sequence of construction structure and materials are all located here. (Including sequential photographic imagery)
* A recently completed project within 6-18 months where documentation and information would still be readily
available to fulfil the criteria and requirements of this assignment
If your preference is the first option selection may be a Multi-level Development or High-Density Residential Accommodation, a large Commercial Building such as a Shopping Centre or similar. Please discuss with the course coordinator the selection of a suitable project you intend to use as the basis for your report or if you are unsure of your selection. Please ensure you have suitable resources, documentation, and ample material suitable to compile the requirements to fulfil the assignment criteria. Also read the Important notice below regarding onsite visits.
Important Note : OHS & W (Occupational Health Safety & Welfare) Requirement
If selecting the first option you are not required to go on site due to OHS &W requirements as a student you are
not covered for any injury, mishap or accidental damage that you may cause or be caused personally. Rather you arrange to speak with the Project Manager or a residing Company officer to obtain the necessary information or documentation required for the assignment. Photographic or other project related requirements that may be used for the assignment should only be taken or viewed from outside the safety perimeters or barriers of the site.
The ensuing part of the assignment is to investigate the various types of materials, structure and methodology used in achieving the end product.
- Select a current* significant Project as detailed above in your locality or use from the Course Wide Resources The AEB 4-D Project
- Prepare a report which describes, analyses and evaluates those items listed below within the construction process of the Project under the main headings of :
- Structure ( Structural form of the Project ie Reinforced Concrete, Structural Steel or Timber)
- Materials (See selection in Table 1 below and Discuss only 3 Items)
- Methodology (Process of Construction)
To assist with the section of Materials select only three of the following items :
|Table 1 .||Material Item or System|
|2.||Structural Framing System|
- In your report, include descriptions of items and why selections were made, clarify or suggest how a Building Surveyor would be involved in any of the processes or specified materials or systems.
- Discuss the appropriateness of material or systems, sizes where appropriate, strength and durability and suggestion of improvement or alternative products or methods of construction and your conclusions.
Provide photographic, illustration and diagrammatic evidence and explanation.
- Evaluate the role of the Building Surveyor and give your personal evaluation in the Conclusion of the report.
Use the appropriate report writing format by using the template provided or follow the guide of the exemplar located in the Assessment Resources.
Utilise media and internet resources as described above or any other appropriate resources such as texts and the BCA to assist with the report.
Ensure students download the BCA codes from the Australian Building Codes Board (ABCB) . See Assessment Resources for further information.
Include in your report photographs, images or diagrams to support your discussion and ensure to notate and reference them.
Use the Rubric Guide to assist students in understanding content and marking requirements as listed for this assessment.
Discussion in the report must be fully supported by citations. A list of references must be provided at the end of the report using Harvard Referencing format as recommended by UniSA.
Length of Assignment – the maximum length of the report is 1800 words (10% margin either side is acceptable). Note that Contents acknowledgements references appendices diagrams and photos etc. are not included in the word count.
Submission of the Assessment is through the Course Website and submit by the due date and time unless you have an approved extension.