Assessment Type Assignment
Assessment Number 2
Assessment Name Report
Unit Learning Outcomes Assessed
Unit Learning Outcome
Identify and utilize appropriate tools for strategy analysis
Apply appropriate strategic management tools and make recommendations
Evaluate the links between performance measures and chosen strategies
Design and recommend appropriate performance measurement systems, e.g. BSC and ABM
Graduate Attributes Assessed
GA 2: Collaboration
GA 3: Research
GA 4: Critical Thinking &
GA 6: Flexibility
Due Date and Time Friday 5.00 PM Week 5
Weighting 30% 20% Group Report plus 10% individual video presentation
Assessment Description Part A Group Report (20%)
Students are required to form groups of maximum three members. This assignment will enable students to explore the applications of performance management information and monitoring systems in a listed Australian organisation. The student is expected to specifically research and decide upon the strategy of the selected organisation and its translation into performance measures.
The student must produce a SWOT analysis, decide upon the Critical Success Factors and design a Balanced Scorecard. Please note that this assignment is based on a specific organisation and none of the requirements is of general nature.
- Select a listed company on ASX.
- Prepare a SWOT analysis for your organisation after researching your organisation and its markets. You may need to research the preparation of a
SWOT analysis (refers to session 1 topic) and you should have no difficulty in finding information in the library or on the internet. For instance Mind Tools at https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newTMC_05.htm and Quick MBA at http://www.quickmba.com/strategy/swot/ discuss the use of SWOT.
- Decide upon and explain the CSFs (refers to session 1 & 8 topics) using the SWOT analysis. Why are these factors critical? Clearly show your CSF
choices by relating them directly to your research and analysis.
- Design a Balanced Scorecard (BSC) following Kaplan and Norton (1996) approach (refers to session 8 topic). Set up objectives, consistent with your
research into the organisation and its CSFs, along with appropriate measures under at least four perspectives.
- Provide an explanation of your BSC design including how the objectives and measures relate to the organisation’s mission and strategy, your SWOT
analysis and choices of CSFs; how the lead and Assessment 2 BACC3002 lag measures exhibit cause and effect relationships that are intended to result in an improved financial outcome.
- Examine and explain the potential trigger for adoption of this accounting technique
- Examine and explain the particular technical characteristics of the techniques may enhance information available to management for decisionmaking and formulation of strategy.
- Examine and explain the expected longer-term outcomes and benefits of implementing the technique.
Part B Individual Video Presentation (10%)
Each member of the group should submit the presentation video file (oral presentation) on the works in A2 that he or she is assigned to