The primary aim of assignment 2 is to give further opportunity to develop academic writing skills while exploring topics that are integral to developing your understanding of the Registered Nurse (RN) role.
This assignment aligns with course learning outcome 1. “Discuss how nurses engage with the historical, political and socio-cultural influences that shape health care and healthcare access in Australian society”
Many factors influence the Australian healthcare system and shape the RN role. Factors may be historical, political and/or socio-cultural. As healthcare professionals within this system, it is important for RNs to maintain an understanding of key influences in the contemporary Australian healthcare system.
- Identify and discuss two key influences that have shaped healthcare and/or healthcare access in contemporary Australian society. (The two influences must be from 2 different influencing categories, i.e. not 2 historical issues or 2 cultural issues)
- Describe how each influence has shaped contemporary healthcare and/or contemporary healthcare access in Australia
- Discuss how each influence might continue to impact the RN role in Australia.
The following online modules will assist you in selecting the issues you may wish to discuss in this assessment:
1.3 Historical influences on nursing
- Power and politics in the practice of nursing
4.2 Understanding the advocacy role
- Cultural Awareness
4.4 Nurses working with First Australian people
- Technology and professional empowerment in nursing
4.6 Nursing and social media
- Nurses’ role as part of the multidisciplinary healthcare team
To assist you in understanding the intent of the essay question, you are encouraged to complete all the self-directed activities in the modules and topics identified above. Refer to the study guide for further detail about when they are discussed in Lectorials.
- Refer to Griffith Health Writing and Referencing Guide alternatively, you can find information on academic skills
- Ensure that you use scholarly literature1 (digitised readings, research articles, relevant Government reports and textbooks) published within the last 5 years (i.e., from 2016 inclusive).
- Follow the suggested essay structure and assigned word count as detailed in the marking criteria.
- You may use headings to organise your work if you wish.
- Refer to the marking criteria when writing your assignment. This will assist you in calculating the weightings of the sections for this assignment.
- State your word count (excluding your reference list) on the title page. You may adjust the word count in each section, but your submitted paper must be no more than 850 words (not including the reference list).
- Submit your assignment online via Turnitin as per the instructions on your course site. [Submit in the
‘evidence of learning’ tile].
- Use the “Turnitin” draft submission point to gain a similarity report before the due date to see if alterations are required before the final submission.
|Criteria 1: Introduction (approx. 150 words)|
|Writes an opening paragraph that contextualises the assignmentAim and direction of the essay is providedTwo key influences are clearly identified||/5|
|Criteria 2: First key influence (approx. 600 words)|
|Clear description of how the first key influence has shaped health care or healthcare access.Influence linked to the Australian contemporary health care systemLogical and comprehensive discussion on the impact of this influence on the role of the RNThe ongoing impact of this influence in the Australian context is consideredScholarly literature is used to support discussion points||/20|
|Criteria 3: Second key influence (approx. 600 words)|
|Clear description of how the second key influence has shaped health care or healthcare access.Influence linked to the Australian contemporary health care systemLogical and comprehensive discussion on the impact of this influence on the role of the RNThe ongoing impact of this influence in the Australian context is consideredScholarly literature used to support discussion points||/20|
|Criteria 4: Conclusion (approx. 150 words)|
|Has a concluding paragraph that summarises the key points in the assignment. Does not introduce any new information or references in the conclusion.||/5|
|Criteria 6: Presentation, Structure & Referencing|
|Conforms to the Griffith Health Writing and Referencing GuideIn-text citations and correct word count (1500 words)Essay is well presented, with correct spelling, grammar, sentence, and paragraph structureReference list begins on a separate pageA minimum of 8 scholarly literature sources, published within the past 5 years are used to support discussion pointsMore than 8 sources may be used and additional sources older than 5 years may also be used if they significantly add to the discussion||/20|
|Total Marks (Weighted at 40%)||/100|