Must Complete: Yes
Word Length: 2000
Students are required to comply with word and time limits. You are not expected to achieve exactly the required length, and a 10% leeway on either side is acceptable. The marker will not mark beyond the 10%. Only your work to that point will be marked against the assessment criteria.
Notes: Written essay
Due Date: Is displayed at the bottom of this page
This assessment relates to:
Learning Outcomes 4, 6
In this task that includes two parts, you will assess the needs of a child and their family located within a rural area and identify strategies to assist them to improve their health literacy and live a healthier life.
You have been working as the School Nurse at Yarrowyck, NSW combined school where you care for the children from grade prep through to Year 12.
Yesterday, the grade 1/3 teacher (Jenny Taylor) expressed concern about 9-year-old Archie. She has observed that Archie does not play with the other children as much as he used to and when he does he often gets into fights. Over the last few months his marks in all subjects have dropped and he doesn’t complete his homework like he used to. When she was on yard duty last week, she saw him throwing away his lunch and thinks he has lost weight.
Today you have arranged for Archie and two other grade three boys to help you set up a garden bed for planting vegetables. You ask Archie how he is going at school and home, he puts his head down and whispers “mum and dad fight all the time, sometimes Dad comes home late from the pub and the yelling starts, I stay in my room with the door shut”. You ask Archie if he feels safe at home now, and he replies “sometimes I’m scared”.
PART ONE (500 words)
- Provide a brief overview of the case study, highlighting the important information.
- Identify one actual problem and one potential problem from the information, and determine how you as the school nurse can provide interventions to support Archieie and her parents during this time.
- Provide rationales for the interventions you suggest and cite evidence supporting your chosen rationale.
- Identify a method for evaluating the success of each intervention.
PART TWO (1500 words)
1. Write an essay that demonstrates your understanding of child abuse and neglect, include potential harm and the consequences for children who are victims of child abuse and neglect.
2. Outline your role as a school nurse in the process of mandatory reporting. Discuss the case study in the context of Archie “at risk of significant harm” and the mandatory reporting process.
- Describe the relevant health information in the case study and develop a plan.
- Explain child abuse, neglect and potential harm.
- Outline the role and responsibilities of the school nurse in mandatory reporting of child abuse.
- Write the paper using academic tone, language, formatting and presentation. Follow the essay format that is attached below (Introduction, body and conclusion). You must write complete paragraphs and are not permitted to use dot points, lists or tables.
- Paper is widely researched using credible academic literature; in-text referencing and the reference list are in APA 7th edition.
You should review the following sources before starting this assessment. These sources may be used within your reference list but you will also need to do some research of your own. A good rule of thumb is 1 reference for every 100-200 words within an essay.
Assessment 3: Essay template
BE SURE TO USE THE READINGS ON THE ASSESSMENT PAGE
Word count: 2000+/-10%
Introduction: (3-5 sentences say around 100 words) THIS ISN’T A SUMMARY BUT A PLAN
- Identify the topic-this gets the reader’s attention (topics of child abuse, domestic violence and mandatory reporting using the case study)
- Give essential but sufficient background information (situation with Archie)-this orients the reader
- Indicate the direction and angle of your argument-this focuses and defines the topic
The introduction starts off in general terms then ends focused.
Body-this is where you gain the bulk of the points, on the rubric it is criteria 1-3
PART ONE (500 words) Criterion 1 (30%)
- Provide a brief overview of the case study, highlighting the important information in 2-3 sentences (introduce the scenario, who, where e.g. Archie’s situation at home, throwing lunch away, losing weight, marks dropping, fighting with other children)
- Identify one actual problem (Archie hasn’t been doing his homework regularly and this is impacting his performance at school) and one potential problem (Archie’s emotional well-being, exposed to family violence, injury to other children if he continues to fight with them) from the information, and determine how you as the school nurse can provide interventions (contacting the parents, asking community nurse or social worker to make a home visit to assess the home situation) to support Archie and his parents during this time. Include literature to support the discussion, what happens to children who are exposed to domestic violence? Who could you collaborate with? What resources could you utilise?
- Provide rationales (why is the intervention a good solution? what guides the school nurse’s practice in this case study?) for the interventions you suggest and cite evidence supporting your chosen rationale. One paragraph for each (include the problem, interventions and rationale in the same paragraph).
- Identify a method for evaluating the success of each intervention (was the desired outcome achieved?) (Archie’s marks improve, he gains weight and plays with the other children at recess without fighting).
PART TWO (1500 word essay) Criteria 2 and 3
- In this section of the essay you will demonstrate your understanding of child abuse and neglect, including potential harm on the child.
- Outline your role as a school nurse in the process of Mandatory Reporting when you have adequate evidence to suggest that Archie is at risk of significant harm. (Archie is fighting with other children, has visibly lost weight, his marks have dropped, doesn’t always feel safe at home).
Criterion 2 20% approx. 500 words
Explain and define child abuse, neglect and potential harm
Use your findings to explain and define the five types of child abuse and neglect. Include the consequences/effects on the child at the time of the abuse and/or neglect, and on their physical and psychological health and well-being later in life. Include child development, socialisation skills, mental health etc.
Criterion 3 40% approx. 850 words
Explain the role of the school nurse in the process of Mandatory Reporting (explain what mandatory reporting is, the school nurse’s role; role of the school nurse in mandatory reporting, preventing psychological harm, protecting children; are all nurses mandatory reporters? what do we report on? Who do we collaborate with to protect children?)
Explain the situation where a child is at risk of significant harm; use the example of Archie, include the evidence you have to suggest this (what is significant harm and what indicators should the nurse consider ‘red flags’?)
Conclusion (4-5 sentences say around 100-150 words):
Summarise your main points, refer back to the question (make a statement about child abuse and neglect from what you found in the literature)
Come to a conclusion (refer to Archie)
You shouldn’t introduce any new material or references here
Get expert help for Assessment 3: Major case study and many more. 24X7 help, plag free solution. Order online now!